Clogged drains sure can be a pain. They often happen at the most inconvenient times too – hello houseful of company! Good thing Griffin Plumbing has gotcha covered with helpful tips to prevent this pesky problem. While you may be unable to stop every single clog, your Grover Beach plumbers are here to share simple steps to keep your drains running smoothly.
The four most dangerous drain clogging causes happen to be hair, soap scum, coffee grounds, and cooking grease. That means the best way to prevent slow or clogged drains is to be mindful about what goes down them. Sounds like common sense, but can be easy to forget in our busy day-to-day lives. Here are a few easy ways to prevent these common culprits from clogging up your drains:
- Instead of dropping coffee grounds down the drain, sprinkle them around your garden to act as fertilizer, or simply throw them away.
- Collect and store cooking grease in an empty coffee can, and then dispose of it in the trash.
- Screens and drain-gates are your friends. You can easily find them at your local hardware store. Use these tools to cover the drain’s opening to effectively catch soap scum and hair.
Do you want to not only prevent clogs, but also stop icky odors? Here’s how:
- After using the sink, run the hot water. This prevents the oils found in food products from building up on the interior surface of pipes.
- Once you’ve run the hot water, throw a handful of baking soda down the drain followed immediately by more hot water. Baking soda serves as an effective cleaning agent and absorbs even the worst smells.
- Slicing a lemon and running it down the disposal is an easy way to clear your kitchen sink disposal of odors as well.
Now that you’re aware of those preventative practices, start to think about switching up your routine:
- Start composting. This not only reduces your dependence on the garbage disposal, but can also help save money on energy and water bills. Plus, the compost will help beautify your garden.
- Brush your hair before showering to prevent shedding in the shower. Some hair will still go down the drain – but significantly less than before.
- When the sun is shining, wash pets outdoors instead of in the tub.
- Talk to your kids about what’s ok to flush, and what’s not – like toys!
Ready to take plumbing prevention a step further? Schedule regular preventative drain cleanings with your Grover Beach Plumbers to keep your residential or commercial drains in top shape.